Township Supervisor's Office
Supervisor - Jay Kangas
2021 - Current
Duties of the Supervisor
The duties of the Ironwood Township Supervisor include, but are not necessarily limited to, all of the following. However, some of the identified duties listed below have been delegated to other administrators. For example, the assessment duties have been assigned to the appointed Township Assessor. Duties not so delegated are retained and exercised by the Supervisor.
- Enforce all laws and township ordinances
- Manage and supervise township public improvements, works, and undertakings of the township
- Have charge of the construction, repair, maintenance, lighting and cleaning of streets, sidewalks, bridges, pavements, sewers, and of all the public buildings or other property of the township;
- Manage and supervise the operation of township utilities;
- Be responsible for preserving township property, tools, and appliances;
- To see that all terms and conditions imposed in favor of the township or its inhabitants in any public utility franchise, or in any contract, are faithfully kept and performed;
- Attend meetings of the board, with the right to take part in discussions.
- Be a member, ex officio, of all committees of the township board; Prepare and administer the annual budget and keep the board fully informed about the financial condition and needs of the township; Recommend to the board adoption of such measures deemed necessary;
- Be responsible for the efficient administration of all township departments;
- Be the purchasing agent for the township or delegate such duties to another person;
- Conduct sale of personal property that the township authorizes to be sold;
Perform such other duties prescribed by law or ordinance or direction of the township board, or which are not assigned to another official in conformity with the Charter Township Act.
Source: Adapted from the Charter Township Act, MCLA 42.10; MSA 5.46.(10)